Pages

Sunday, October 31, 2010

She laughed and Seema smiled, her parents frowned. Disapproval nearly suffocated them but they endured it all in good grace. It would be over soon. The final call for the Canada bound flight came and her mother pulled her side. “Just tell me where I went wrong,” her mother pleaded, “We could still go back home and forget everything…all of this.” She pulled away disgusted. “Mum, don’t make me question calling you ever once I get there,” she threatened, but softened as tears filled the older woman’s eyes. “I love Seema and I cannot be happy without her,” she repeated for what seemed like the hundredth time and reminded herself that at least her parents had not shut the door in her face like Seema’s and for that she had to be grateful. She now held back tears as she thought of all the fond memories she had shared with her mother, her father, her Bangalore. She walked away from her parents and held Seema’s hand. Seema gave her hand a tight squeeze, she understood as she always had. They walked to the flight together, still holding hands.


-Shruthi

1 comment: