Pages

Monday, September 20, 2010

Hey guys, Aditi here!!!!!!! My internet's back! Finally! I can post again, woohoo! :D :D :D and since I'm oh so happy today, I've written something about .....

The Little Pleasures of Life!!!!!!!

What makes me truly happy? I’ve been asked that question innumerable times – whether as part of a questionnaire, during career counselling, or generally while chatting with friends … and it got me thinking. There’s a lot in the simple everyday things I do which can make me inexplicably happy – which might seem crazy to you, but trust me, if you think about it, you’ll realize it’s the little things in life, not the great ones, which make you truly happy!
Take my life, for instance. I’m a pretty ordinary teenage girl, I go to college every morning, come back in the evening, nothing remarkable about that right? But then, it doesn’t take much to please me. Catching a Volvo bus every morning to get to college makes me happy! Ok, forgive me for sounding like a simpleton, but that bright red AC bus is just bliss to travel by! It’s much better than the regular battered NON-AC buses where you never get place to sit and are continuously being pushed around by uncouth men! Or worse, have to stand for hours amidst smelly armpits!
Or maybe it’s not the Volvo, maybe it’s to do with the fact that the only day I need to come early to college is for street dance, hence the need for a bus. (I travel by college van otherwise!) And I LOVE street dance! Trust me, there’s no better way to start off the day than with some exercise – it’s so invigorating and you honestly feel like there’s some purpose to life! Especially when you’re watching these seniors pull off daredevil stunts you wouldn’t dream of doing (I really can’t, because when I tried one of them I almost broke my back! So much for being a cool street dancer)
Sitting in class, sneakily munching “Chit Chat”, sniggering at that unsuspecting teacher’s unfortunate choice of earring, staring at the needle in the watch that just WON’T budge, falling asleep while being READ OUT a certain Shakespearean play … all this is pretty mundane, but I LOVE it all because it makes up college life. Yeah sure, going out clubbing is WAY more fun, but if one can find joy in routine everyday activities, WHY THE HELL NOT?
Of course, there are also those lucky days when we have a Kannada play during lunch break, so we can go shopping on Commercial Street! Not high-end stuff, but hey, it’s the experience more than anything else! And there’s always Chocolicious to visit! For those of you who don’t know, Chocolicious is this divine little place on Commercial Street where you get AMAZING liquor chocolates!!! Or at least, Purvaa and I always seem to go high once we’re done “sampling” all the chocolates!
I know a lot of you have written already about this, but I can't resist - RAIN!!!!!!! Especially if you're travelling back home with zany Apoorva who INSISTS on splashing in puddles, thereby resulting in YOUR jeans getting wet, and forcing you to dance to "Chak Dhoom Dhoom", which is a song where the actors dance in the rain! Oh, and the best part - the dance step involves you jutting your ... ahem.... backside out, and shaking madly!! Do ask Apoorva for a demo if you don't believe me! Or, she'll delight the general public by climbing onto the walls of the Jayadeva Hospital and holding my hand while I walk sanely on the ground, and she walks along the WALL!!! Oh, but I have an important job - lifting the branches and leaves that get in her way!
I seem to have a lot of eccentric friends to travel back home with. Today, as I was leaving college, I shared an auto with two seniors - Uttara and Madhuri, also from the street dance - and for some reason they delighted in peeping out of the auto, giving random passersby the thumbs-up, screaming "ADITIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" at some poor unsuspecting girl walking past or folding their hands in respect and bowing solemnly at an old man shuffling down the road. What was I doing? Oh, I was covering my head and praying that we would reach Shivajinagar quickly so I could run out and never be associated with those delinquents again!!!!!!!!! (But hee hee, they paid for me :D something else that made me happy! Yes, I get cheap thrills!)
Fine, I guess I pretty much deserve the “cutesy” tag from Sahana Ma’am because of whatever I’ve written. But with all the depression, anxiety and sleepless nights that we’ll have to face these 3 years, it’s important to find happiness in whatever you can!! Especially in each other. There’s nothing like friendship to light up even the darkest days! (Ooh – philosophical much?) So here’s to making every moment count, to finding cheer in the most commonplace activities, and sticking by each other through everything, C-gulls!

5 comments:

  1. awesome read. it was funny and interesting <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha yayayayayayay!!!!! now THATS what i call an interesting day!! there are so many things that make everything worth it aren't there? :D love the subtlety! ;) i wish i was able to be this excited and innocently happy in my writing!! <3 i love how the writing is so much like YOU. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. :D :D :D thank u both!!!!!! no but apoorva the point is for my writing to not always be like me :( :( next time! :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. that was sooooo good.... thats true... i don't think any of us have been able to erase that goofy smile from our faces since college started:D
    smit:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Got me thinking, smiling and laughing at places.. Pleased my mind. Good peace aditi.. :)

    madhuvanthi:)

    ReplyDelete