Pages

Thursday, September 30, 2010

This is the first poem I've written in many, many years ( lines with an abab rhyme scheme like "Once there was a goat, who wore a blue coat" etc, etc do not count - and i hope you do realize those lines were just an example)
This short one took me many, many days and many hours of Additional English classes to write and it may not be much but hey! I wrote a poem!

This poem kind of follows up on my fascination for the enigma that was Syd Barrett. I wasn't too impressed by the earlier Floyd hits like See Emily Play and couldn't really see the fuss everyone made about Syd Barrett (this may also be because of my incomplete knowledge - dunno) but Wish You Were Here is my favourite Pink Floyd album and Shine On You Crazy diamond - very clichéd i know - changed my world.
And hence the amateur attempt at trying to understand the LSD induced hallucinations and torture that destroyed the brilliant career that might have been (but Pink Floyd did just fine! better than fine without him you know..)

Oh and i worked really hard on the meter of the poem and hope for it to be named after me. ( I talk too much and it stops now) and i hope to dear god that this poem doesn't sound pretentious (my worst nightmare)

Welcome.
The hole beckons
Bed of ice, floor of flames
Hands reaching. Bound, by straight jackets
Slime oozes; madness blinds
Shouts unheard fade
Mercy.

Sorry that what i wrote about the poem was shorter than the poem:( but a decent post has to have a certain length you know..

Anindhita

1 comment: