Pages

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Music- My inspirations and journey so far

If you ever ask me why I am so passionate about music, I would certainly never have an answer. From the time I was little there has been nothing I have never wanted to do or never wanted to be. From being a teacher to being a space scientist to a detective to a film star I’ve wanted to be it all!!!! But the one thing I never really lost interest in, that is music.

Even as a kid I’d love to sing. Not giving a damn about getting my lyrics right as long as I am enjoying myself. I still remember when I was 6, my class teacher taught us Saare Jahaan Se Acha. We were all asked to sing it and three of us were selected from every class and made to sing for Independence Day (And that I consider as my first public performance =P lol). After that I was a part of every event that happened in school. The best part of school life according to me was Horlicks Wiz Kids that happened every year during the month of June/July in which various schools would compete. More than winning, this was a great platform to take our talents to the next level and boost our confidence. My 1st big breakthrough happened when I was in my 10th grade. Our school was celebrating golden jubilee so we were all asked to stage a musical. This is when I first met my inspiration, Chris Avinash! He is a musician by profession. What inspired me so much? Well first of all, all his compositions were just brilliant. Every time we’d listen to his songs it would just blow our minds. He was a really friendly teacher who would always motivate us and go beyond just teaching us music. His enthusiasm, perseverance, the go getter attitude inspired us a lot.

I always wanted to learn the guitar. I guess from the age of 12 or so. But nothing really happened until I was 16. My parents always thought music was a waste of time and dint really see the point of me getting guitar classes and being so passionate about the whole thing. So every time I asked them to buy me a guitar or look for classes they’d just have some lame reasons to give me. My bro was the only person who always pushed me to pursue it. So when he got his first pay check for volunteering for red bull or whatever he bought me my guitar. Which makes it extra special =) So I started classes the very next week and my parents dint really have an option but to pay. My first guitar teacher –Trinity D’souza. He was the lead guitarist for the band Angel Dust. One of the best Indian bands during the 90’s. He was a really good teacher. Helped me get all my basics right. I continued going to him until this summer when Nathaniel school of music came along.

To be frank the one thing that really got me about NSM was that they offer a 10 week course in which we would be taught let’s say almost everything depending on the level you choose to do. Those 3 months starting from the last week of April to July was simply awesome. NSM was second my biggest breakthrough. I never enjoyed learning music so much before. The privilege of being taught by Tony Das (Bhoomi) was more than I could ask for. The first time we saw him play a guitar riff we were all blown away. More than being a brilliant guitarist and teacher what we all admired about him was that he is so down to earth. And though we couldn’t conquer our respective instruments in those 3 months it sure was a different learning experience. To do so, it requires a hell lot of practice and it all depends on what you make out of what is taught to you. After 10 weeks of rigorous coaching we were asked to put up a show. Those 2 weeks of jamming and getting to know the others are now memories I cherish. I made great friends there. Friends I want to keep forever. I did improve in playing the guitar (very lil improvement) but this whole process did make me more confident about it.

So after all the jamming, fun, bonding and little practice we finally performed at Kyra on the 26th of July 2010. I was finally living my dream. More than putting up a great show we simply enjoyed ourselves. We critized, supported and encouraged each other throughout. NSM was my first big step towards becoming a performer or musician or anything you want to call it. As of now I miss NSM like crazy and would love to go back. And as far as my performances go I do have plans for the future.

-Anisha Peter

3 comments:

  1. smit here... i kinda guessed it was you writing this.... its a nice piece:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow i felt like i went through all that fun too :) really nice anisha! super inspiring to us flagging musicians :P

    ReplyDelete