Pages

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Little Circles

She loved watching the rain. It was her favorite pastime: to watch a few drops as they slid down the window pane and hit the ground, making little circles around the spot where they fell. Sometimes she followed one droplet on its journey: from the clouds, onto her window sill, down to the window pane and onto the terrace.
When her mind was in turmoil and she was distracted, she would sit by the window for hours together just watching the rain.



Like now: she sat with her head pressed to the cool glass, eyes closed, ears plugged and waited for her mind to clear. She held a cigarette in one hand and a cup of coffee in the other.
The neighbor's dog whined and barked. Her mobile vibrated next to her as she received text messages. Someone knocked at her door. The phone rang several times and all the calls went to voice mail: "Hi, I'm unable to take your call right now. Please leave your name and number and I'll get back" *beep*
She didn't move.

Several hours later ...

She heard a thud and her eyes flew open. She saw that the rain had stopped. Her ears were still plugged but the ipod battery had died. The coffee had gone cold. The cigarette lay on a piece of paper that now had a burn hole. At some point during the night it had fallen out of her hand and onto the piece of paper.
The sky had a red tinge and the neighborhood was slowly stirring awake around her. She realized the thud meant that the newspaper was at her door. She awkwardly got up and stumbled down the stairs on numb legs to pick up the newspaper and read it while reheating the coffee.

Sam

13 comments:

  1. there is a very gentle rise and fall in the story... i know it sounds weird but you ll feel it when you read it.
    beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this :)
    And except for the cigarette, it sounds like something Sam would do :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks you guys!!

    Smit, I know what you mean cuz that's how I felt when I wrote it.

    Winona, except for the cigarette, it is what I DID!! =]

    ReplyDelete
  4. i believe that sam :) how calming, and satisfying, getting lost in your little metaphorical circles like that. :)
    apoorva

    ReplyDelete
  5. The imagery is so wonderful! I could really see everything so vividly in my head and I almost smelt the coffee and cigarette :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey SAM,
    Like Smit sadi there is a really nice rise and fall to the story..dunno the cigarette seemed a lil forced...
    But it feels indian but i'd like more Indian terminology... probably just me :) like chai instead of coffee cuz somehow chai and rain sounds awesome :D
    But like the pic in between.. enhances your imagery.. But pretty post Sam :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Taarika, Anisha and Meera :]

    Meera, it's coffee because I LOVE coffee .. and I kinda agree with you on the cigarette thing because I played around with it A LOT. I put it in and then got rid of it and got it back (I was trying to figure out why I got it back when my friend read the piece and said: "I particularly liked the dissolve from the burnt mark on the paper - wasted past.. TO the morning crimson of the sky - a waiting future.") So maybe that was what was in my head too when I put that in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh. my. god. I took a photo just like that 2 months ago :O :O!!! Plus, I related to that, 'cause it's something I'd do!!! Sam, you and I are freakishly alike...it's a lil scary!!!
    I love it though :) :)!!! Absolutely awesome :) :)!!! -Leanne.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Bangalore good life. Just enough space to shout and sigh :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Space for everything but breathing =)

    ReplyDelete